Andy Jones, PhD
- Associate Chair, Nutritional Sciences
- Associate Professor, Nutritional Sciences
- 3846 SPH I
- 1415 Washington Heights
- Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2029
Andy’s research examines the relationships between food systems, sustainability and healthy diets. He currently leads projects in Ghana, Vietnam, Kenya, and Peru examining how biodiversity within agricultural systems influences healthy diets, and how food value chains and food environments affect the diets and health status of vulnerable communities. Andy is also researching how communities throughout Michigan can transform their food systems to help mitigate climate change.
- PhD, Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, 2011
- B.A., Film Production, The Pennsylvania State University, 2002
- B.A., Geography, The Pennsylvania State University, 2002
- Christian AK, Wilson ML, Aryeetey RNO, Jones AD. Livestock ownership, household food security and childhood anaemia in rural Ghana. PLOS ONE 2019. doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0219310.
- Heller MC, Walchale A, Heard BR, Hoey L, Khoury CK, de Haan S, Burra DD, Duong Thi T, Osiemo J, Trinh Thi H, Jones AD. Environmental Analyses to Inform Transitions to Sustainable Diets in Developing Countries: Case studies for Vietnam and Kenya. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 2019. doi.org/10.1007/s11367-019-01656-0.
- Lambrecht NJ, Wilson ML, Jones AD. Assessing the Impact of Animal Husbandry and Capture on Anemia in Women and Children: A Systematic Review. Advances in Nutrition 2019;10(2):331-344. doi.org/10.1093/advances/nmy080.
- Blesh J, Hoey L, Jones AD, Friedmann H, Perfecto I. Development pathways toward “zero hunger”. World Development 2019;118:1-14. doi.org/10.1016/j.worlddev.2019.02.004.
- Humphrey JH, Mbuya MNN, Ntozini R, Moulton LH, Stoltzfus RJ, Tavengwa NV, Mutasa K, Majo F, Mutasa B, Mangwadu GT, Chasokela CM, Chigumira A, Chasekwa B, Smith LE, Tielsch JM, Jones AD, Manges AR, Maluccio JA, Prendergast AJ, SHINE Trial Team. Independent and combined effects of improved water, sanitation, and hygiene, and improved complementary feeding, on child stunting and anaemia in rural Zimbabwe: a cluster-randomised trial. Lancet Global Health 2019;7:e132-47.doi.org/10.1093/cid/civ844.
- Jones AD, Creed-Kanashiro H, Zimmerer KS, de Haan S, Carrasco M, Meza K, Cruz-Garcia GS, Tello M, Plasencia Amaya F, Marin M, Ganoza L. Farm-level agricultural biodiversity in the Peruvian Andes is associated with greater odds of women achieving a minimally diverse and micronutrient adequate diet. Journal of Nutrition 2018;148:1625-1637. doi.org/10.1093/jn/nxy166.
- Nyantakyi-Frimpong H, Colecraft EK, Awuah RB, Adjorlolo LK, Wilson ML, Jones AD. “How can you expect me to slaughter the fowl for meat?” Prospects and challenges of leveraging livestock production to reduce anemia in Ghana. Social Science & Medicine 2018;212:191-202.
- Vandermeer J, Aga A, Allgeier JE, Badgley C, Baucom R, Blesh J, Fink Shapiro L, Jones AD, Hoey L, Jain M, Perfecto I, Wilson ML. Feeding Prometheus: An Interdisciplinary Approach for Solving the Global Food Crisis. Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems 2018;2:39. doi: 10.3389/fsufs.2018.00039.
- Jones AD, Hoey L, Blesh J, Janda K, Llanque R, Aguilar AM. Peri-urban, but not urban residence in Bolivia, is associated with higher odds of the co-occurrence of overweight and anemia among young children, and of households with an overweight woman and stunted child. Journal of Nutrition 2018;148(4):632-642. doi.org/10.1093/jn/nxy017.
- Galway LP, Acharya Y, Jones AD. Deforestation and child diet diversity: a geospatial analysis of 15 Sub-Saharan African countries. Health & Place 2018;51:78-88. doi.org/10.1016/j.healthplace.2018.03.002.
- Wolfson JA, Jones AD, Philbert MA. The US food supply: the need for both biological and nutritional safety. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 2018;54(2):316-319. doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2017.08.021.
- Jones AD. Critical review of the emerging research evidence on agricultural biodiversity, diet diversity, and nutritional status in low- and middle-income countries. Nutrition Reviews 2017;75(10):769-782. doi.org/10.1093/nutrit/nux040.
- Jones AD. Food insecurity and mental health status: A global analysis of 149 countries. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 2017;53(2):264-273. doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2017.04.008.
- Jones AD. On-farm crop species richness is associated with household dietary diversity and quality in subsistence- and market-oriented farming households in Malawi. Journal of Nutrition 2017;147(1):86-96. doi.org/10.3945/jn.116.235879.
- Jones AD, Ejeta G. A new global agenda for nutrition and health: the importance of agriculture and food systems. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 2016;94:228-229. doi.org/10.2471/BLT.15.164509.