The School of Public Health occupies two primary facilities. SPH I at 1415 Washington Heights is also referred to as the Henry F. Vaughan building, and SPH II at 1420 Washington Heights is also known as the Thomas Francis Jr. building.
For facilities emergencies (floods, immediate safety concerns, etc), please contact the UM Facilities and Operations Service Center at 734.647.2059 and follow up with an email to SPH Facilities Staff with details of the issue to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SPH Facilities Staff are available onsite Monday through Friday from 7:00am – 3:00pm. If you have general questions about our facilities, please contact the SPH Facilities Staff at email@example.com or contact the SPH Facilities Director at 734.260.9173
Request Facilities or Maintenance Support
Examples of Facilities or Maintenance Support
Building Repairs and Maintenance
Examples: replacement of stained or missing ceiling tiles, too hot/too cold/humidity issues, lights out, door problems, clogged drains, leaks
Examples: requests for special cleaning for events, general service, repair of soap/towel dispensers
Examples: requests for additional furniture, removal of furniture, moving furniture, hanging items, small architectural projects, suggestions for building improvements, requests for interior design or architectural services, sending items to Property Disposition.
Examples: requests for snow or ice removal, sidewalk salt, tree trimming, mowing
Examples: Bugs, rodents, dead animal removal
SPH Classrooms and Conference Rooms may only be scheduled by SPH Faculty and Staff or designated SPH student organization representative.
- Biostatistics: SPH II – M4210
- Environmental Health Sciences: SPH I - 6679
- Epidemiology: SPH I - 4667
- Health Behavior and Health Education: SPH I – 3790
- Health Management and Policy: SPH II - M3172
- Nutritional Sciences: SPH I - 1847
In addition to the departments, the school houses 34 research centers that focus on key issues in public health, both nationally and globally, such as chronic disease, healthy environments, genetics and genomics, childhood obesity, kidney disease, sexuality, leadership, healthcare policy, and more.
Other important locations:
- Office of the Dean, 1800 SPH I
- Office for Student Engagement and Practice (Admissions, Registrar, Student Life, Careers, eLearning), 1700 SPH I
- Office of Public Health Practice, 2700 SPH I
- Office of Global Public Health, M2001 SPH II
SPH I and SPH II exterior doors are unlocked Monday through Friday between the hours of 7:00am – 6:00pm.
Access to SPH buildings after hours is limited to SPH faculty staff, students, and collaborators with an SPH sponsor.
Door Screeners stationed at main entrances verify ResponsiBLUE compliance during business hours.
The first digit of any room number indicates the floor on which that room is located. The second digit indicates the hallway in which the room is located:
Rooms in SPH I have second digits of 6 through 8
- 6 is the Crossroads Tower and SPH I atrium area
- 7 is the west hallway bordering Observatory Street.
- 8 is the north wing, which includes the dean’s suite on the first floor.
Rooms in SPH II have second digits of 0 through 5
- 0 is the north side, bordering Washington Heights.
- 1 is the south side, nearest the cemetery parking lot.
- 2 is the west side, nearest the Kinesiology building.
- 3 and 4 are internal, north-south hallways (some SPH II floors do not have internal hallways)
- 5 is the east side, nearest the Markley parking lot.
- Locating rooms in SPH by their numbers (PDF)
|Company||Delivery Time||Pick-Up Time|
|Fed-Ex Express||9:00 AM - 10:00 AM||Contact Fed-Ex for pick up|
|Fed-Ex Ground||Anytime||Call 1-800-463-3339 for P/U|
|UPS Next Day/Express/Ground||10:00 AM - 3:00 PM||2:00 PM - 3:00 PM (on wood table by Mailroom)|
|Campus & Wolverine Tower Mail||10:30 AM - 11:30 AM||10:30 AM - 11:30 AM|
|U.S. Mail||10:00 AM - 3:00 PM||10:00 AM - 3:00 PM|
|Other delivery companies not listed deliver sporadically, no set schedule. DHL handles only international packages, delivers only when international packages arrive for this address. If needed, call DHL at the number listed on their website.|
- SPH I – B857T
- SPH I - G827T
- SPH I - G829T
- SPH II – M3237
- Floorplans with location of Gender Neutral Restrooms in SPH I (PDF)
- Floorplans with location of Gender Neutral Restrooms in SPH II (PDF)
- SPH I – 2759
- SPH II – 6023
- Floorplans with location of Lactation Rooms in SPH I (PDF)
- Floorplans with location of Lactation Rooms in SPH II (PDF)
Room M1157 SPH II is available for test taking (proctored exams), students registered with Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) who require accommodations, or those requiring a private space for a phone/Skype interview. The room has a large computer screen, voice recognition software, camera, headsets, and a landline.
Reservation priority is given to SSD-approved accommodation requests, test takers, interviews, and, if available, those with other needs. To check availability and reserve the room on a first-come basis, use this Google calendar.
Floors 3-7 in the Tower have public lounge areas on the north end of each floor. Microwaves and refrigerators are available for Faculty, Staff and Student use.
The Crossroads lounge, adjacent to room 2610 is an open area which can be used for study, relaxation and collaboration. This area contains a digital monitor which can be used for group work or for displaying content.
Room 1627 is a dedicated student lounge.